Friday, April 13, 2012

In Memory of Henry Lew


Henry Lew
1989 - 2007
Henry Lew left this world on May 8, 2007, from the Golden Gate Bridge.  He was only 18 years old.  Henry’s mother Doris said that he was kind, gentle and a bit too sensitive for his own good.  He was pretty serious about everything, self-contained, quiet, a bit of a loner and very much into computers.  We both found it interesting and sad that there were quite a few similarities between her Henry and my Larry.

When I received Doris’s reply to my email sent to other survivors that had lost someone to the Golden Gate Bridge, I cried.  She had written she was having a hard time finding the right words and apologized.  She was incredibly touched by my offer to walk in memory of her angel and many others and by the fact that I was walking.  I was at a loss for words in reply to her.  I can’t imagine the pain that a parent must endure when they lose a child and the strength they must find within themselves to go on.  While any of us who have lost someone to suicide is a survivor, I can’t help but believe that the mothers and fathers that lose their children are the ultimate survivors.  I have a 25 year old daughter and can’t imagine having the strength that I’ve seen in so many of the mothers and fathers I’ve met through the Bridge Rail Foundation. 
Henry’s memory bracelet was made with black and clear beads.  His mother said that she didn't know if he had favorite color, but if he did, he leaned towards dark blue and black. I really like black and saw Henry’s bracelet as my opportunity to make one of the  memory bracelets using black beads.  The charm hanging from the bracelet is an earring of mine that lost its’ mate, just as I have. It looks like a teardrop which was fitting, as I’m certain that many tears have been cried for Henry.
I am honored that Henry’s family is allowing me to walk in his memory during my incredible Out of the Darkness Overnight journey on the June 9th.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, LeAnn, not just for the bracelet but the beautifully written post. I so appreciate what you are doing, not just walking in the Overnight, but carrying the memories of our loved ones with you.

    ReplyDelete