Monday, May 28, 2012

In Memory of Michael K.Torres

Michael Kelly Torres
"He has been with me every second of
every day since August 9, 1984" 
JT
  
I never knew Michael Torres, but have been most fortunate to know his mother Kay and father Paul through the union I work for and its retiree club, as well as his brother John who is an Alameda County Fire Department Captain.  If Michael’s spirit was anything like his mother, father and brothers’, he was no doubt an extraordinary man.

Michael’s brother John has supported my participation in the AFSP Community Walks for the past several years and so generously has supported me in the Overnight Walk.  When the memory bracelet idea came to mind, John was one of my first supporters that I approached.  I told him what I was doing and that I would be honored to make a memory bracelet for his brother Michael and wear it and walk in his memory, along with all of the other angels that other families’ are allowing me the honor to do.   John was very appreciative of my offer and told me that his brother was very proud of his Irish/Mexican heritage and loved the San Francisco Giants. Hence the giants colors and the baseball glove and ball for Michael' memory bracelet.

A few weeks ago I saw Michael’s mother and father at their monthly retirees’ luncheon and showed them the memory bracelet and told them about John’s support.  They both were so gracious and touched by the memory bracelet, that they too, offered their support of me in the OvernightWalk. 
I can only imagine the heartache and frustration that John must have felt… he chose a career in life rescuing people, but was not given that chance to rescue his brother from himself.  I can only hope that it provides John and his family comfort in knowing their continued support of the AFSP is helping to save the lives of countless others.
Valor, Strength, Bravery

No comments:

Post a Comment