Sunday, May 20, 2012

In Memory of Casey J. Brooks

Casey Joanna Brooks
1990 - 2008

Casey Joanna Brooks was born Joanna Neilacna in the Gizycko, Suwalki Province in the Polish People’s Republic on May 3, 1990.  She was adopted by John and Erika Brooks and brought home to the United States July 1991. Her parents gave her the name Casey, which means “brave” and kept her birth name Joanna as her middle name.

Casey would have graduated High School in May 2008, and then in the fall gone onto Bennington College, were she’d gained early admission, but in the
the early morning hours of January 29, 2008, Casey slipped out of her family home and drove to the Golden Gate Bridge where she ended her young life and changed the lives of so many.

The impact that she had on the lives of her parents and friends is evident when you look at the website iheartcasey.com her parents created in her memory.  You can’t help but feel the love that is out in the universe for Casey when you look at the pictures 
and read her story in her parent's memory website.

I had met Casey’s parents briefly at one of the Bridge Rail Foundation’s events a few years ago, but never really had the opportunity to talk to them. A few weeks back I had the opportunity to talk to Casey’s mom Erika for a few minutes, while we helped with the sorting and counting of hundreds of pairs of shoes that will be used in the Bridge Rail Foundation’s “Whose Shoe’s” exhibit on May 27th.

I knew that in my Overnight Journey and making of the memory bracelets that there were several souls lost to the GGB that that I wanted to make a bracelet for and wear in memory of.  Casey Brooks was one of them.  I had been drawn to a little silver “flip-flop” charm and bought it with Casey in mind.  I asked Casey’s mom Erika if Casey had liked the beach…. since I was so drawn to that little flip-flop I knew there must be some connection.  Erika told me that Casey wasn’t a huge fan of the beach, but that she wore flip-flops almost all of the time!

I came home that night and made Casey’s memory bracelet. Deep blue and clear crystal beads and that little flip-flop charm that called out her name.

4 comments:

  1. LeAnn, your connection to our loved ones spans the years past and eons to come. Only a heart so full of love would be able to make such an Arduous journey, carrying the love of lifetimes. Thank you does not convey the gratefulness and love I can extend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayna, the strength and endurance that will be required of me for my Overnight journey pales in comparison to that of which all of my BRF friends have demonstrated over the years. I am in awe of each one of you and have gained much of my strength from knowing all of you. I thank all of you for allowing me to carry all of your loves of lifetimes with me!! It is truly humbling and I feel privileged and honored to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I live the same experience that Casey had, I know what she suffered with.
    0nly she, and those that live in this, can really feel, and experience what 'Life' is like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mhmm she's so sexy...why did he jump? I could have been her boyfriend and help her with her problems

    ReplyDelete